Any Updates?

I have been wanting to use SkookumScript for a while now(Mostly because the compile times are so small) and I wanted to know if it’s possible I could get a Link or news about an updated Repo for 4.26 by any chance?

1 Like

Do not expect too much the Skookum guys are working on a new language for Epic, they are very busy.

1 Like

Well, 2 1/2 years of dead silence, and it’s been very difficult to check every day on Sweeney’s Twitter, Epic forum, this forum, discord, blogs every day. It’s a torture by expectations. What’s such a big secrete? Can’t they just keep us updated on the progress? Perhaps bi-monthly? Right now, I don’t even know if it’s a “thing” anymore.

I wouldn’t say it is dead silence - particularly on this forum. :sweat_smile:
A “thing” is in progress. We can’t talk about it until a public release. :man_shrugging:
It is frustrating not to be able to say anything, though I can assure you that we hear you.

[Also, if there is anything to report - we will post about it. You should get notifications. Feel free to keep checking though. :grin: ]

1 Like

@Reddy - to answer your question:
We’ve been looking into it and are coming up with a mechanism to get a SkookumScript update out for new Unreal versions - including UE5. Things are slow moving, though I’ll see if I can get additional time and resources dedicated to this…

Enhancements are also a consideration - Unreal Engine 5: SK or Verse?

1 Like

I said dead silence because the only thing I heard is from the last year’s Event video that it’s called Verse, looks similar to Python, part of Fortnite and that’s pretty much it! And I didn’t hear it from you although I thought you guys own the project. I was worried if there are some internal struggles and I apologize if I went overboard but it’s agonizing.

1 Like

In case you’re not aware, there are some indications already in the source code that Verse is going to be in UE5 (how soon tho, idk).

I don’t know if i can posts images of the source code, but you can check it yourself in the latest version of ue5-main branch, looking for “verse” in TargetRules.cs and ModuleRules.cs. It seems there will be 2 modules (VerseCore and Solaris) that will be part of the Verse IL.

Personally, i believe we’ll see the first release of Verse as part of Fortnite Chapter 3. And the Chapter 3 should be about to release if we consider the timing on when Chapter 2 was released: exactly 2 years after ch1. And ch2 is about to be 2 years old later this year. But i may be wrong because chapter 1 had 10 seasons, while ch2 is in its 7th one.

1 Like

Love your sleuthing =)

1 Like

Yeah, I check the source every day as well. Reference to Verse only exists in the module definition and the module itself is nonexistent. People are saying that Verse might be only for Fortnite mod and we don’t know the truth. It might be true or it will exist only for Fortnite for a while. Things like these make me really frustrated.