Unreal Engine 5: SK or Verse?

Will SK get an update to work with UE5? Is such an update irrelevant since Verse is in the works? Thanks to all who answer that are in the know =)

1 Like

Yeah, it would nice to keep SK live regardless. I still enjoy using it. ^^

1 Like

We’ll look into an update of Sk for recent versions of UE4 and the early release of UE5. There are still big studios using or looking into using SkookumScript - for both UE4 and UE5.

We may also be able to extend / rework Sk a bit so that it will be easier to convert it to future tech that we are working on here at Epic

3 Likes

Sounds good!

1 Like

Wow, are you serious? Will SK code somehow carried over to Verse? It doesn’t need to be perfect in all cases but it will be a great help.
I really didn’t expect you guys actually going to look into SK further for UE5. I’m really excited that the legacy will continue. Cheers!

1 Like

@Noolarch It seems like UE5 Verse will take a while before it makes a public debut. There isn’t any hint or trace in UE5 source.

If so, do you think it’s possible to support UE5 SK soonish? Assuming that there is some SK->Verse migration support, supporting UE5 SK now will make it immensely useful. I’ve already started porting BP->SK in UE4 but I would like to move to UE5 as soon as it becomes available. Yeah, I tried to compile SK from the source but it does not compile under UE5 as expected.

Thanks and I really appreciate trying to keep SK alive.
Cheer!

2 Likes

@Noolarch
Hi,
About 4 months have passed since you talked about the possible UE5 support.
Since then, there is still no hint of Verse surfacing.
We have to assume it will continue to be so.

If so, please let me ask you for a favor.
Is it possible to add the support for UE5 main branch?
I guess we have no choice but I would like to move to UE5 if possible.
I managed to get SK to work for 4.27 but I couldn’t get it to work for UE5; it complained about missing generated files and that’s where I couldn’t go further.
It took me about half a day to make SK work for 4.27 and it might not be much different for UE5 for the experts.
I’ll really appreciate it.
Cheers!

I am checking this site every single day hoping for some news on something for UE5. Either SK support or even some beta invite into Verse or just something.

Imagine LOS using UE5. xD